Lorel “Sonny” Zaide
L.Ac, M.S.O.M., Dipl. Ac. (NCCAOM)®
Owner of Purple Cloud
(Tuesdays through Saturdays: 11am – 7pm)
Click here to book with Sonny
Primary Acupuncture/Energy Healing Specializations
- Anxiety / Stress / Depression
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Headaches / Migraines
- Digestive disorders
- Chemotherapy Side-Effects / Recovery
- Neurological Disorders
- Overall balancing
Secondary Acupuncture/Energy Healing Specializations
- Musculo-skeletal Pain
- Post-operation / Recovery
I started my journey towards Eastern Medicine in 2007 when I chanced upon a place near my office called, “Zen Shiatsu Chicago,” a school for Japanese bodywork. Being an enthusiast of bodywork/natural healing, I decided to first give it a try as a patient. The treatment has helped me with my depression and anxiety so much that soon after that day, I enrolled in the school’s program to help heal others like myself.
The theories behind Zen Shiatsu intrigued me so much that I fell in love with Eastern Medicine. Within a year I found myself moving on to study at Midwest College of Oriental Medicine in 2008, completing the Masters of Oriental Medicine program (with honors) in February of 2012.
I am nationally board certified in acupuncture by the NCCAOM, and licensed to practice acupuncture in the state of Illinois since 2012.
Soon after I graduated from the Masters program in 2012, I joined the US Navy and became trained as a Hospital Corpsman (Medical Specialist) in the United States Navy Reserve, assigned to an Expeditionary Medical Facility based in Naval Station Great Lakes. In my Hospital Corpsman training, I learned skills equivalent to Emergency Medicine Technicians (EMT-B) and Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA).
It was during my Masters program when I began studying both Reiki and Clinical Qigong energy healing. I became a Reiki Master in 2011. As of 2016, I became a certified practitioner of Clinical Qigong in the Stillness-Movement System under the Institute of Chinese Energetic Healing, and nationally recognized as a Qigong instructor and Clinical Qigong practitioner by the National Qigong Association as of 2017. Since 2016, I began my self-studies in Shamanic Healing, but in 2019 I officially began my shamanic clinical studies under the tutelage of Kelly Kay, Betsy Bergstrom, Nicole Perez, and Kathleen Rude.
Having experienced tremendous anxiety and depression throughout my life, I understand the importance of physical and emotional boundaries, and of creating a safe and private space to facilitate healing. The beauty of Purple Cloud is that all treatments are private and one-on-one. Many of my patients who suffer from emotional/spiritual imbalances find peace in that. My job is to provide you with a place to find solace, where you may feel free to allow yourself to realize your harmony within. I’d be honored to be a part of your journey towards better health and healing.
Although Acupuncture, Shamanic Healing, and Energy Healing may cover a vast array of medical conditions, my particular specialties lay within the treatment of emotional and spiritual wellness – such as stress, anxiety, depression, and PTSD, as well as the physical pain that comes along with emotional imbalances such as insomnia, headaches, migraines, hormonal imbalances, and digestive issues.
- Master of Science in Oriental Medicine – Over 1,000 hours of clinical experience in Acupuncture, Cupping, Electro-Stimulation, and Herbal Medicine combined (Midwest College of Oriental Medicine)
- Bachelor of Science in Eastern Nutrition (Midwest College of Oriental Medicine)
- Nationally Board Certified Acupuncturist 2012 (NCCAOM)
- Level III Zen Shiatsu (Zen Shiatsu Chicago)
- Certified Reflexologist (School of Holistic Massage and Reflexology)
- Completion of General Duty Hospital Corpsman in the United States Navy – Emergency Medicine, Basic Nursing (Fort Sam Houston, Medical Education and Training Command, San Antonio)
- Mind-Body Certified by ACE Fitness
- Access Bars
- Level II Craniosacral Therapy
- Certified Reiki Master / Teacher (Usui)
- New Paradigm MDT Basic Master
- Certified Practitioner of Clinical Qigong Energy Healing (Institute of Chinese Energy Healing)
- Practitioner Member of National Qigong Association (NQA)
- Certified Clinical Qigong Practitioner of National Qigong Association (NQA)
- Certified Level III Advanced Qigong Teacher of National Qigong Association (NQA)
- Shamanic Healing student under the tutelage of Betsy Bergstrom, Kelly Kay, Kathleen Rude, and Nicole Perez
- Student of Shamanic Healing, Filipino Animism, Tibetan Buddhism, and Daoism
- Student of Contemporary Wushu (Chinese Performance Kung Fu)
- Student of Tai Chi (Proficient in Yang 8, 24, and 24 sword)
- Bachelor of Science in Hotel Administration (University of Nevada, Las Vegas)
- Former jazz vocalist
- Punk and grunge music enthusiast
- Cartoon enthusiast