Lorel “Sonny” Zaide
L.Ac, M.S.O.M., Dipl. Ac. (NCCAOM)®
Owner of Purple Cloud
(Tuesdays through Saturdays: 11am – 7pm)
Click here to book with Sonny
Primary Acupuncture/Energy Healing Specializations
- Anxiety / Stress / Depression
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Headaches / Migraines
- Digestive disorders
- Chemotherapy Side-Effects / Recovery
- Neurological Disorders
- Overall balancing
- Healings for Autistics/Neurodivergents
- Autistic Fatigue/Burnout
- Sonny is currently taking a hiatus from providing Advanced Spirit Healing (AKA “Shamanic” Healing)
Secondary Acupuncture/Energy Healing Specializations
- Musculo-skeletal Pain
- Post-operation / Recovery
I started my journey towards Eastern Medicine in 2007 when I chanced upon a place near my office called, “Zen Shiatsu Chicago,” a school for Japanese bodywork. Being an enthusiast of bodywork/natural healing, I decided to first give it a try as a patient. The treatment has helped me with my depression and anxiety so much that soon after that day, I enrolled in the school’s program to help heal others like myself.
The theories behind Zen Shiatsu intrigued me so much that I fell in love with Eastern Medicine. Within a year I found myself moving on to study at Midwest College of Oriental Medicine in 2008, completing the Masters of Oriental Medicine program (with honors) in February of 2012.
I am nationally board certified in acupuncture by the NCCAOM, and licensed to practice acupuncture in the state of Illinois since 2012.
Soon after I graduated from the Masters program in 2012, I joined the US Navy and became trained as a Hospital Corpsman (Medical Specialist) in the United States Navy Reserve, assigned to an Expeditionary Medical Facility based in Naval Station Great Lakes. In my Hospital Corpsman training, I learned skills equivalent to Emergency Medicine Technicians (EMT-B) and Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA).
It was during my Masters program when I began studying both Reiki and Clinical Qigong energy healing. I became a Reiki Master in 2011. As of 2016, I became a certified practitioner of Clinical Qigong in the Stillness-Movement System under the Institute of Chinese Energetic Healing, and nationally recognized as a Qigong instructor and Clinical Qigong practitioner by the National Qigong Association as of 2017. Since 2016, I began my self-studies in Advanced Spirit Healing (AKA “Shamanic” Healing), but in 2019 I officially began formal clinical studies under the tutelage of shamanic teachers Kelly Kay, Betsy Bergstrom, Nicole Perez, and Kathleen Rude.
Having experienced tremendous anxiety and depression throughout my life, I understand the importance of physical and emotional boundaries, and of creating a safe and private space to facilitate healing. The beauty of Purple Cloud is that all treatments are private and one-on-one. Many of my patients who suffer from emotional/spiritual imbalances find peace in that. My job is to provide you with a place to find solace, where you may feel free to allow yourself to realize your harmony within. I’d be honored to be a part of your journey towards better health and healing.
Although Acupuncture and Advanced Spirit Healing may cover a vast array of medical conditions, my particular specialties lay within the treatment of emotional and spiritual wellness – such as stress, anxiety, depression, and PTSD, as well as the physical pain that comes along with emotional imbalances such as insomnia, headaches, migraines, hormonal imbalances, and digestive issues.
And as a neurodivergent myself (late-diagnosed combined autistic and ADHD), I specialize in the treatment of anxiety, depression, fatigue, and burnout normally experienced by neurodivergents due to prolonged masking/camouflaging and emotional dysregulation due to sensory overload.
- Master of Science in Oriental Medicine, graduated Cum Laude – Over 1,000 hours of clinical experience in Acupuncture, Cupping, Electro-Stimulation, and Herbal Medicine combined (Midwest College of Oriental Medicine)
- Bachelor of Science in Eastern Nutrition (Midwest College of Oriental Medicine)
- Nationally Board Certified Acupuncturist 2012 (NCCAOM)
- Level III Zen Shiatsu (Zen Shiatsu Chicago)
- Certified Reflexologist (School of Holistic Massage and Reflexology)
- Completion of General Duty Hospital Corpsman in the United States Navy – Emergency Medicine, Basic Nursing (Fort Sam Houston, Medical Education and Training Command, San Antonio)
- Mind-Body Certified by ACE Fitness
- Access Bars
- Level II Craniosacral Therapy
- Certified Reiki Master / Teacher (Usui)
- New Paradigm MDT Basic Master
- Certified Practitioner of Clinical Qigong Energy Healing (Institute of Chinese Energy Healing)
- Practitioner Member of National Qigong Association (NQA)
- Certified Clinical Qigong Practitioner of National Qigong Association (NQA)
- Certified Level III Advanced Qigong Teacher of National Qigong Association (NQA)
- Advanced Spirit Healing (AKA “Shamanic”) student under the tutelage of shamanic teachers Betsy Bergstrom, Kelly Kay, Kathleen Rude, and Nicole Perez
- Student of Spirit Healing, Animism, Tibetan Buddhism, and Daoism
- Student of Contemporary Wushu (Chinese Performance Kung Fu)
- Student of Tai Chi (Proficient in Yang 8, 24, and 24 sword)
- Bachelor of Science in Hotel Administration (University of Nevada, Las Vegas)
- Former jazz vocalist
- Punk and grunge music enthusiast
- Cartoon enthusiast
- Skateboarding fanatic